The All-Party Parliamentary Group on a Fit and Healthy Childhood
Chair: Jim Fitzpatrick MP
Co-Chair: Baroness (Floella) Benjamin of Beckenham OBE
Vice-Chairs: Ian Austin MP, Nic Dakin MP, Nigel Dodds MP, Julie Elliot MP, Diana Johnson MP, Dr. Philippa Whitford MP, Lord McColl of Dulwich
The purpose of this Group
Please note that this is not an official website of the House of Commons or the House of Lords. It has not been approved by either House or its Committees. All-Party Groups are informal groups of members of both Houses with a common interest in particular issues. Any views expressed in these pages or in our reports are those of the Group. The Group seeks to influence the views of Parliament and of Government to better address these issues.
Working Group Reports
The aim of our Reports is to assist policy-makers to reach decisions based on best evidence. A list of reports, with links to download them, is available here.
- Wednesday 25/04/18 at 6 pm – Mental Health in Primary Schools, with Matthew Blow, Policy and Government Affairs Manager, Young Minds Neera Sharma, Senior Policy and Research Adviser, Barnardo’s, and one other speaker tbc
Recent Previous Meetings
- 28/03/18 – The launch of our report ‘The Impact of Social and Economic Inequalities on Children’s Health’ followed by a presentation on Public Health England’s new calorie reduction programme. Speakers: Baroness Benjamin, Helen Clark, lead author of the report, and Anna Taylor from the Food Foundation.
- 20/02/18 – “Does food industry marketing undermine anti-obesity measures?” with Katy Askew, Senior Editor of Food Navigator; Dan Parker, Chief Executive, Living Loud; and Malcolm Clark from Cancer Research UK
- 10/01/18 – “Why Children’s Oral Health is Everybody’s Business” with Sara Hurley, Chief Dental Officer, England; Prof. Michael Escudier, Dean of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons;and Claire Stevens, Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry, University Dental Hospital of Manchester
- 29/11/17 – with the Lawn Tennis Association and Slimming World
- 14/11/17 – with Shadow Secretary of State for Health Jonathan Ashworth MP
- 17/10/17 – launch of the Working Group Report on Physical Activity in Early Childhood, with Nic Dakin MP, Steve Franks and Chris Broadbent from Water Babies, and Helen Clark, lead author
- 28/06/17 – launch of the Working Group Report on Maternal Obesity, with Baroness (Floella) Benjamin, Jenny Caven, Slimming World, and Helen Clark, lead author
Please go to the meeting notes page for details of earlier meetings.
If you have not yet joined the APPG
We recognise that without the support of charitable, corporate and individual interests and experts in the field, it will not be possible to fulfil our ambitious agenda. There is a modest annual fee. Full details of this and sponsorship opportunities are available from the Group Secretariat at: email@example.com
You can read or download ‘The Children’s Health & Fitness Policy Recommendations Report from Fitmedia’ which was produced after the February 2015 meeting.