A RECENT PROJECT – WASTED MONEY, WASTED LIVES
The aim of the project was to trigger improvements to health and education services for people with epilepsy. Dramatically improved profile achieved leading to special provisions to improve NHS services for people with epilepsy.
- Private meeting with the Prime Minister to discuss epilepsy-specific issues.
- Obtained open, written admissions from the Prime Minister and the then Health
- Minister, Paul Burstow MP, that services are inadequate and deliver poor value for money.
- Obtained meetings with Ministers Burstow and Sarah Teather (Education).
- Three Adjournment Debates in the House of Commons.
- Achieved avoidable epilepsy mortality and emergency admissions as indicators in the draft National Outcomes Framework.
- Achieved inclusion of pre-conception counselling in the Quality and Outcomes Framework system of GP payments.
- Obtained meetings with Shadow Ministers Stephen Twigg MP (Education) and Diane Abbott MP (Health).
- Pressure has led to the NHS increasing the number of paediatric epilepsy surgical procedures three-fold.
- Met with members of the Health Select Committee in support of an Inquiry into NHS services for people with epilepsy.
- Met with the National Audit Office to discuss an epilepsy-specific value for money Inquiry.
- Seen restrictions on people with epilepsy’s right to climb the Clock Tower of Big Ben removed. Arranged the first organised ascent by people with epilepsy.
- Continued to organise and support the All-Party Parliamentary Group on epilepsy.
- Pressure has led to neurology becoming one of the topics covered by a Strategic Clinical Network, one of only four to receive full Departmental support.
- Achieved special measures for epilepsy as part of the recommendations of the Report Of The Children And Young People’s Health Outcomes Forum.
- Achieved inclusion of paediatric epilepsy in the Payment by Results system.
Jenny Caven, Head of External Affairs of Slimming World
Through Slimming World’s membership of the APPG on a Fit and Healthy Childhood I’ve worked with Phil Royal and Royal Public Affairs for several years. Phil’s knowledge of the parliamentary system and his subtle, unassuming and unpretentious influencing skills are valuable. His model of developing strong reports that have real merit and gain the attention of politicians is effective at raising the profile for an issue and getting results.
Sarah Clothier, Public Affairs Consultant
Phil has a fantastic working knowledge of the political system and the ability to get to the heart of any issue very quickly. He is extremely well respected by senior players across all parties and his experience and success as a public affairs consultant makes him a great asset to any team or campaign. Phil is also a joy to work with!
Alison Cornell, Programme Lead, Research, Policy & Campaigns at Young Epilepsy
Phil has provided policy and lobbying support to a group of charities over a number of years, including the one I work for. He is extremely effective, having secured excellent opportunities at Ministerial level and provided some helpful introductions in Whitehall. Phil was able to ensure appropriate questions were tabled and provided regular up to date briefing information. Phil is flexible and easy to work with and I would have no hesitation in recommending him.
Sharon Wood, Chief Executive, Joint Epilepsy Council
Phil has provided public affairs services for the JEC for several years and has significantly raised the profile of epilepsy issues with politicians and policy makers. He has developed a very good understanding of the condition which together with his considerable and detailed knowledge of public affairs has enabled us to lobby more effectively in order to improve services for people affected by epilepsy.
Alan Cruickshank, Head of Governance & Planning at Leonard Cheshire Disability
Phil’s very knowledgeable about parliamentary processes and engaging with parliamentarians. He provided a constructive, pragmatic and good-value service and was good to work with.
Jane Griffiths, Editor, Writer, Linguist and former M.P.
Phil is highly effective and a real professional. Unhesitatingly endorsed.